Monday 19 April 2010

I think....

A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron
_______________________________________

Here are some books I have read:

The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter:
A Treasury of Myths, Legends and Fascinating Facts by David Colbert

I really recommend reading htis book and having it as a companion to refer to when you are reading the Harry Potter books. Thats if you enjoy understaind what you are reading about. This book is not written by JK Rowling but it is an interesting "type of background" to all the 'things' in her books.

Its really essential reading so that readers can fully understand and appreciate the Harry Potter books. Myths and legends are really interesting to me, personally so I have read up on a lot of these things already but this was a very good book. Thanks for writing this book David Colbert.





Nessie - My own Story by the Loch Ness Monster
I read this in 2008 when we first moved back to Scotland. I was facinated by Nessie at the time and had been ever since I had heard about it. The movie "Waterhorse" was brilliant. I had been studying dinosaurs for a while before watching the movie and had decided that Nessie must have been a pleiosaur - which is not bad for an 8 year old :)
This was a funny book and hearing the 'personal' opinions of the lady herself was a great insight. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone interested in the Loch Ness Monster.

I did not find it on Amazon.co.uk but the book is published by Langsyne Publishing http://www.langsyneshop.co.uk/ or info@scottish-memories.co.uk

The Hamlyn Bible for Children
This has colour and B&W illustrations and concentrates on over 100 stories from the old and new testement. Its quite good for 10+ years but the font is very small.






-------------------------------------
Here is another review blog that I read -
http://darkwolfsfantasyreviews.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

No comments:

Post a Comment